Thursday, October 3, 2013

Math CGI Problems in the Classroom

I've taken some amazing pictures of my kids working in the classroom. What I am most proud of is how kids are learning to problem solve in math. I love watching their minds work when they are solving a problem. I really love when the kids get to share with the other students how to solve problems. It is a lot of fun asking questions to get the kids to clarify their answers. The kids are learning to pay attention when their peers are speaking, because they know they might be called on to restate what the other person said. Here are a few pictures:

This is the first time we tried this type of problem. It's called a Join Change Unknown, where the change is the number that the kids need to find instead of the ending number. We spend a couple of days on this problem.



One of my students using snap cubes to attempt to solve the problem.

Another student taking a different approach.

One of my students using the Elmo and the SmartBoard to explain his answer.

Another student explaining her answer.

And one more student explaining her answer.

This student had to put in his own words what the other student just said.

No comments:

Post a Comment