Friday, November 22, 2013

Get kids moving during Math

The past week or so, my students have been VERY antsy. They cannot sit still. I feel so bad for them, because I do want them to move around. I try not to make my "lessons" very long, or I let them move while they are watching one of the videos in my class. But they are so excitable, I worry about losing control of the classroom.

This past week, I watched the kids wiggle and squirm as we were trying to do Math warm-ups (flashcards, counting, ten frames, etc.) I kept thinking that my kids really needed to move. They hadn't been outside due to the rain and just couldn't hold still. I remembered that the kids love playing Dance Freeze... kids dance while music is playing, and then they have to freeze when the music stops. So I came up with a quick idea. I played music and let the kids dance. When I paused the music, the kids had to look at me and respond to a "flash card." I wouldn't start the music again until the answer was correct. Now the ones that I was using were Part-Part Whole cards, which are pictured below. But I got to thinking, the game can be used for any type of card... Math, Literacy, Science or Social Studies.

Check out some pictures below:






The kids really love it and ask to play it all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment