Friday, August 30, 2013

Classroom Pets

"Pets in the Classroom" (http://www.petsintheclassroom.org/) is an organization that will help you purchase a pet and items to setup the pet in the classroom. After the pet has been purchased, you can also apply yearly for a sustaining grant, to help pay for the items you need for your pet. Here is my story so far:

Well, I've gone and done it now. I will be getting a classroom pet. What was I thinking? One of my Facebook friends posted a link on her page at the beginning of July. I was intrigued, but not really enough to act on it. Then, the more I thought about it, the more I thought that I would like to give it a shot.

Two weeks ago, I went to the website to apply for the grant. Now, keep in mind that I was thinking about getting a fish. Low maintenance (maybe), not a lot of attention needed from me. Something changed my mind when I was filling out the application, and I decided I wanted to get a guinea pig. Those are cute, I thought, and they are diurnal (play during the day), unlike hamsters which are nocturnal. I also imagine putting the little furball in a plastic ball and letting him run around the classroom.

Today, I received my acceptance letter with my coupons. I decided that I needed to do my research (yep, I did everything backwards.) Apparently, guinea pigs are social, meaning they need lots of love an attention... daily. I am not supposed to leave it in my classroom over the weekend (it needs routine and can get lonely.) Oh, and I shouldn't put it in a ball because it can hurt itself. They chew a lot, and like to be held. Awesome. Apparently I have decided to adopt a small child.

I am still excited about starting this new experience. I will just have to change my approach to what to do with my pet. I will either go shopping tomorrow or Sunday, and get everything together to take him or her up to school Tuesday. I cannot wait for my kids to see the pet. I want them to be involved in his care.

Once I get everything set up, I will post some pictures! Wish me luck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment